How Seniors Can Get Smell Out of Nalgene Bottle

Nalgenes provide an airtight reusable bottle that can be used for months or even years.  With constant use, the build up of foul odors within the plastic interior is unavoidable. Regrettably, the pungent stench that develops can be overwhelming and act as a deterrent for future use.

Fortunately, there exist several household remedies for removing odors from these plastic bottles to return them to normal.  By using the below suggestions, you can add freshness within the Nalgene and put it back into use.

Nalgene Bottle Smell Removal Solutions

Best Medical Alerts Services
1. Hot Water & Dish Detergent

This combination will usually be enough to remove any unwanted odor from the interior of a Nalgene bottle.  Fill the bottle with warm water and add a teaspoon of dish detergent before screwing the lid shut.  Give bottle a good shake and allow for it to sit for 15-20 minutes.  Once complete, pour contents out within the sink and rinse the entire interior out with fresh water.

2. Baking Soda

This household ingredient works well at absorbing odors and freshening any container.  Fill Nalgene bottle with warm water and add three teaspoons of baking soda.  After screwing the top closed, give the bottle a good shake and allow for it to sit for 30-60 minutes.  After this time has passed, return to pour cleaning formula out and rinse with fresh water within the sink.

3. Apple Cider Vinegar or White Vinegar

Any type of vinegar will be effective at cutting through the worst plastic bottle odors.  Apple Cider Vinegar will help in removing the odor, as well as adding a natural aroma to the process.  Alternatively, white vinegar will work just as well and will evaporate odor-free.  In either case, fill the bottle with 20% vinegar and fill the remaining 80% with warm water.  Close the top and allow 30-60 minutes for the acidic formula to work it's magic as it strips unwanted odorous residues from the interior of the container.  After an hour has passed, return to pour the mixture out and rinse the interior with fresh water.

4. Lemon Juice

The citric acid within lemon juice is a fantastic natural solution to removing odors within Nalgene bottles.  Squeeze lemon juice within a Nalgene bottle until the lemon juice takes up 10% of the space. Next, fill the remaining 90% with hot water.  After 1-2 hours have passed, pour contents out and place the Nalgene back into active use.

5. Coffee

This morning brew has the capabilities of absorbing difficult odors within plastic containers.  Pour two cups of warm coffee within Nalgene bottle and provide 15-30 minutes for it to absorb all odors within the confined space.  After a half-hour has passed, return to remove the coffee and rinse out the interior.  The inside will be smelling fresh with a subtle aroma of fresh brewed coffee.

6. Efferdent Tablets

These tablets are made for cleaning and deodorizing dentures.  With this said, they are highly effective at deodorizing, and provide a safe deodorizing solution for cleaning plastic bottle that you plan to drink from.  Fill the bottle with warm water and drop 1-2 Efferdent tablets within the bottle.  Provide 15-30 minutes before returning to pour contents out and rinse with clean water.

Best Medical Alerts Services